The School of Dispensing Optics formerly called Optical Technician Training Institute was established on 1st October 2001 by three nongovernmental organizations namely Swiss Red Cross, Africa Action from Germany and Westphalian Children’s Village. The Ministry of Health accepted it on Tuesday 25th November 2008. Since then the School has been under the control and management of Health Training Institution Secretariat of Ministry of Health, Ghana
We believe that:
- everybody deserves to clear sight
- clear sight can be maintained by awareness
- vision of people with refractive error will improve by using spectacles/visual aid
- people with refractive errors need spectacles/visual aid
- graduates from the school will meet the spectacle/visual aid need of the nation and beyond
Among the challenges in the eye care sector in Ghana is lack of personnel, lack of adequate eye care education for the public and continual use of uncertified herbal preparations to treat eye conditions in the communities.
These have led to long wait periods to see eye doctor and poor patient education.
Opticians are needed to fill the gap for available, accessible and affordable eye care services.
In the past people were sent abroad to be trained at high cost. Others were crudely trained on the job leading to proliferation of quacks. The need for a school to formally train optician to fill vacancies in Ghana Health Service and other health facilities that have eye clinics is now.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
The programme aims at training students to become highly qualified Dispensing Opticians. The course is designed to:
- Maximize the quality and standard of spectacle production by providing the necessary theoretical knowledge and practical training.
- Provide knowledge in entrepreneurship to develop responsible attitudes to a material and cost effective work.
- Develop students’ knowledge and understanding of Applied Sciences.
- Train and produce Opticians with the scientific and professional standards capable of functioning and competing internationally
- Train students in basic managerial skills capable of manning an optical workshop efficiently to meet all refractive needs of individuals, families and communities.
The school is to train optician who has the mandate to:
- Recommend spectacle frames, lenses and lens coatings after considering the prescription, clients occupation, habits and facial features
- Educate clients on adapting to, wearing, or caring for spectacles
- Design, fit and dispense corrective lenses to correct poor vision.
- Determine the specifications of various ophthalmic appliances that will give the necessary correction to a person’s eyesight.
- Assist customers to select the most appropriate eyewear.
- Advise and dispense low vision aids to those who are partially sighted
- Maintain clean, organized and stocked eyeglass displays.
- Manage inventory of contact lenses, spectacle frames, accessories, tools and office supplies.
- maintaining proper record keeping on clients prescriptions, work orders
- Repair and adjusts spectacles while ensuring patient satisfaction.
- Perform finish lab skills including lens layout, edging, tinting, frame assembly and repair, frame adjustment and lensometry
- Work hand-in-hand with other eye care professionals to save sight.
- Undertake such research as may be necessary for the effective management refractive errors and maintenance of good sight
- Give public education on eye protection and maintenance of good eye health.